The heritage of The Church of the Covenant had its beginnings in Washington, Pennsylvania when the First Presbyterian Church of Washington (established in 1793) outgrew its facilities in 1860. At that time the Washington Presbytery organized the Second Presbyterian Church on March 12, 1861. The Congregation leased a Methodist Protestant building on Beau Street for 14 years and then built its first church building in 1887 at 65 East Beau Street.
Meanwhile on March 24, 1891 a petition was presented to the Presbytery of Washington to organize the Third Presbyterian which was formed by members from both the First and Second Presbyterian churches. This congregation built a church on Jefferson Avenue.
The Second Presbyterian Church had outgrown its space by 1929. It acquired property on East Beau Street and built our present gothic structure. The Third Presbyterian Church was forced out of its building by a redevelopment project in 1959 and voted to merge with the Second Presbyterian Church. Both congregations favored the merger and on September 11, 1960 the Church of the Covenant was established.
The Church of the Covenant is a part of the Presbyterian Church U.S.A. and supports the mission programs of the denomination throughout the Presbytery of Washington, the Synod of the Trinity, and the General Assembly.
The Church of the Covenant is proud of its heritage and the challenges and risks taken by congregational members of the past. We now anticipate the future as together we move forward enhanced by our renovated facilities and new educational wing.
1960-1968 William G. Rusch
1969-1976 Bryan J. Cannon
1977-1985 H.H. McConnell, Jr.
1985-1993 Clements E. Lamberth, Jr.
1994-1995 Steward B. Lawerence, Jr.
1995-2002 William M. Meyer
2005-2008 David L. Turner
2008-today Dr. Stuart D. Broberg